Cherokee Strip Land Rush Museum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

first town settler

2 posters

Go down

first town settler Empty A.A. Newman

Post  Admin Thu Jul 16, 2009 11:36 pm

bluebird wrote:I think A.A.Newman was one of the first settlers. He built a department store I believe was 3 floors. I bought my first and only ,3 or 4 inch, high heels there.when I was a senior in high school. Thought I was pretty smart.
At Christmas they had the 3rd floor decorated and all kind of toys and of course Santa Clause.
He really was very industrious. Very Happy Bluebird

Yes, he was. He actually had seven locations. He moved here in 1872. He traded in the Indian Territory with freight wagons and then set up a store. The original was at 205 S. Summit. The second was 116-118 S. Summit and the third was 302 S. Summit. He ended up at 400 S. Summit with the huge building we all know as Newman's now. The store was open until October 1987.

A.A. was also one of the boosters who brought businesses into town. He helped bring the railroad, start the canal and the electric company for a few. He also was an investor in Gueda Springs when people came to partake of the medicinal waters. He was very industrious.

He also had a mansion that was being built here in town. Upon completion the workers threw lind seed oil soaked rags down the laundry shoot, which combusted and burned it to the ground before they could move in.
Admin
Admin
Admin

https://cherokeestripmuseum.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

first town settler Empty first town settler

Post  bluebird Tue Jul 14, 2009 10:29 am

I think A.A.Newman was one of the first settlers. He built a department store I believe was 3 floors. I bought my first and only ,3 or 4 inch, high heels there.when I was a senior in high school. Thought I was pretty smart.
At Christmas they had the 3rd floor decorated and all kind of toys and of course Santa Clause.
He really was very industrious. Very Happy Bluebird

bluebird

Back to top Go down