Cherokee Strip Land Rush Museum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Whole new appreciation

2 posters

Go down

Whole new appreciation Empty Re: Whole new appreciation

Post  Admin Thu Oct 15, 2009 9:54 pm

billie0w wrote:I've been reading and extracting some things from the Senate Reports of the Congressional Record of the first session of the 49th Congress. I've been looking for information about the Cherokee Strip Live Stock Association. During my reading I've gained a whole new respect for the Cherokees. They were not movie Indians, not the Indians of James Fenimore Cooper, they were not "the noble savage" that is so often pictured. The Cherokees of the mid to late 1800's were a highly educated people. During my reading I ran across a document that discussed the rights of the tribes to lease unused land for grazing. Most tribes had their land in a kind of Occupancy in Perpetuity. The land belonged to the United States Government but the tribe had rights to live there as long as there was a tribe or until they gave it up. The Cherokees, on the other hand, got title to their lands in their treaties. The land was THEIRS. They had the same rights of ownership as any other people. That's pretty darned smart.

Oh yeah, definately. The Cherokee were very smart in their dealings with the government and they made good use of that as long as they could. The Osage were also very smart in keeping all of their mineral rights after the land opened for settlement.
Admin
Admin
Admin

https://cherokeestripmuseum.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Whole new appreciation Empty Whole new appreciation

Post  billie0w Mon Oct 12, 2009 10:46 am

I've been reading and extracting some things from the Senate Reports of the Congressional Record of the first session of the 49th Congress. I've been looking for information about the Cherokee Strip Live Stock Association. During my reading I've gained a whole new respect for the Cherokees. They were not movie Indians, not the Indians of James Fenimore Cooper, they were not "the noble savage" that is so often pictured. The Cherokees of the mid to late 1800's were a highly educated people. During my reading I ran across a document that discussed the rights of the tribes to lease unused land for grazing. Most tribes had their land in a kind of Occupancy in Perpetuity. The land belonged to the United States Government but the tribe had rights to live there as long as there was a tribe or until they gave it up. The Cherokees, on the other hand, got title to their lands in their treaties. The land was THEIRS. They had the same rights of ownership as any other people. That's pretty darned smart.

billie0w

http://freepages.history.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~billie0w/cslsa/i

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum